Cove Island lighthouse has been marking safe passage through a perilous strait between Lake Huron and Georgian Bay for sailors since October 30, 1858. The first of the imperial lighthouses to be completed, it sits on Gig Point, the northeast tip of the island, about five miles from Tobermory’s mainland harbour.
Located in Fathom Five National Marine Park, just off of the Bruce Peninsula, has stood guard, warning Great Lakes mariners navigating the treacherous narrow channel between Lake Huron and Georgian Bay.
The lighthouse can only be viewed by private boat, the Chi Cheemaun car ferry or by tour boat out of Tobermory. Access to the island is restricted.
This imperial tower structure built by John Brown is similar in style to those at Point Clark and Chantry Island. The tower, original house and fog plant, a workshop, and keepers’ homes make up the light station today.
Standing 90 ft above the water, it is 80 ft in height from its base to the centre of its light.
- Type of Light: Fresnel
- Range: 26 km
- Height: 80 ft
- Steps: 115
- Style: Imperial
- Year Built: 1858
Tobermory ON Canada